Unfiltered is a cooperative of journalists and readers committed to covering news and views of the underrepresented and marginalised and to create a new way of reporting through independent, uncompromising, quality journalism. Our focus is on social issues through the perspective of real lives. Unfiltered is based on the values of self-help, self-responsibility, democracy, equality, fairness, diversity, and solidarity.
Subscribers are how we sustain the work of Unfiltered.coop. By becoming a subscriber, you are supporting journalists to write stories that are typically filtered out of mainstream media. Collectively, we can help to amplify the voices of those that are marginalized.
Subscriptions can be purchased monthly or on an annual basis. You will receive an email notification when your subscription is set to expire.
A cooperative can only reflect the energy and vitality of its membership. Members, both journalists and readers, value honesty, openness, social responsibility, and concern for others, and act on cooperative principles.
We understand that, at its core, the fate of Unfiltered – its chances of success or failure – depends on the people who create it and work in it, on their capacities, values, ideas, objectives, limitations and potential, qualities and defects, and on their relationships.
We expect all readers and co-op members (both Reader and Journalist Members) to abide by this Code of Conduct to show commitment to our values as a group.
Code of Conduct
The Code of Conduct is designed to enable us to maintain a working environment where we can work with one another in a way that builds solidarity.
Solidarity implies commitment, investment, and the capacity to embrace a common project; but it also implies a give and take, contribution and compensation. The internal relations of the cooperative must be as fair as possible, characterized by solidarity, as much with respect to the contributions each member makes as to the benefits they get.
TO FOSTER SOLIDARITY
- Help maintain a culture of inclusivity and open participation. Show care, consideration, and respect for others.
- Recognize and respect the legitimacy of resistance to abuse and oppression.
- Find and cultivate ways to engage readers and new Members.
I will not:
- Make offensive, harmful, or abusive comments or insults, particularly in relation to diverse traits
TO BUILD TRUST WITHIN UNFILTERED:
- Keep in mind the potential for misunderstandings, avoiding initial assumptions of bad faith.
- Keep criticism constructive.
- Attempt to de-escalate conflicts as they arise.
- Participate in an authentic way.
I will not:
- Use violence, threats of violence, or violent language directed against another person.
- Harass — defined as continuing to interact with or post about another person after having been asked to stop.This includes, but is not limited to, unwelcome sexual attention, deliberate intimidation, stalking, and dogpiling.
As a READER MEMBER, I am responsible for the content I share and advocate for.
- Give credit and recognize the contributions of others.
- Promote stories, perspectives and facts that I know to be true and can be verified.
I will not post, threaten to post:
- Personally Identifiable Information about others. (“doxing”)
- Material or content that promotes bigotry, including fascist, racist, misogynistic, homophobic, or transphobic content.
This post is also available in: 日本語 (Japanese)